- Boards & Commissions
- City Planning & Zoning Commission
City Planning & Zoning Commission
- 5:30 p.m.
- 2nd Monday of each month
- City Hall
215 S Ash Street
Pearsall, TX 78061
- Jesus Cuevas, Chairperson
- Belinda Gonzales, Commissioner
- Lydia Langston-Nall, Commissioner
- Ayla Ramos, Commissioner
- Roy Ruiz, Commissioner
The Planning and Zoning commission shall:
- Exercise all powers granted by the City council and shall make recommendations to the City council
- Exercise the powers granted thereto on all matters affecting the physical development of the City, including the preparation, or amendment of a comprehensive plan or plans and their implementation
- All matters affecting land use, zoning, zoning regulations and modifications and changes thereto
- All matters regarding public improvements to be constructed, including civic improvements
- All matters regarding city planning, opening, widening and changing of streets
- All matters regarding location of public utilities, including extensions thereof
- All matters regarding controlling and regulating traffic upon the public streets and ways of the City
- Such other matters as the Planning and zoning Commission and the City Council may deem beneficial to the City
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall have any and all powers granted to planning and zoning commissions by:
- The statutes of the State of Texas,
- The City of Pearsall Charter
- Such other duties and further powers as are delegated to it by Ordinance of the City Council of the City.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall have the power to review and pass upon all proposed plans which may ultimately be considered by the City Council in final form relating to public improvements, as well as land use and transportation matters.
It shall be the duty of the City staff and City Council, as far as practicable, to submit such preliminary plans governing public improvements, as well as land use and transportation matters, involved under the terms of this Charter, to the Planning and Zoning Commission, and to obtain its advice with reference thereto.
The City council may thereafter adopt the -means and methods which may be deemed most advisable by the City Council; provided, however, that any public improvement undertaken hereunder, or otherwise, or any decision made regarding land use or transportation matters, by the City Council shall never be deemed invalid because the Planning and Zoning Commission has not been first consulted, or because the City Council has failed to submit its preliminary plans thereof, for consideration by the Planning and zoning commission.
The Planning and Zoning commission shall further have the power to review and render its recommendation to the City Council on the submission for approval of any subdivision plats within the City and its extraterritorial jurisdiction, in accordance with the provisions of the City's subdivision ordinance.
For the purpose of promoting the public health, safety, order, convenience, prosperity and general welfare, the City Council of Pearsall shall have the power to divide the City into zones or districts for the purpose of regulating and controlling
- The size, number of stories, height and bulk of buildings and other structures,
- The percentage of a lot that may be occupied
- The size of yards, courts and other open spaces
- Population density
- Location and use of buildings, other structures and land for business, industrial, residential or other purposes within such zones or districts
The Council may exercise any other powers necessary to fully effectuate and accomplish the purpose of the powers herein conferred, subject to the notice and hearing requirements of state law.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall recommend boundaries for the original Zoning districts and appropriate zoning regulations for each district, in accordance with a comprehensive plan adopted by the City Council. The Planning and Zoning commission shall further review and render its recommendation to the City Council on any changes to the districts, their boundaries or the regulations.
Membership & Terms
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall consist of 5 members, who shall be appointed for 2 year terms. The members may be removed in accordance with the provisions of Section 10.03.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall itself appoint and designate from its members a Chairperson and Vice Chairperson to preside over commission actions.
The commissioners shall meet at least once monthly, or more as required. Guidelines, rules, regulations and other duties and powers shall be prescribed by ordinance.
For more information, view the City of Pearsall Charter (PDF).